Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

alex at relcom.eu.net alex at relcom.eu.net
Fri Oct 25 08:15:36 UTC 1996

We have the same picture there.

If we have 1000 kilimoters back-bone, we include the cost of this
back-bone into our prices, and sell 64K for (for example) 100bokazoids.

If small ISP crinix opens free-of-chsarge peering with  us, he must not
include the cost of back-bone into their prices, and they sell 64K for
50 bokazoids.

This mean we can't allow free-of-charge peering with them.

>   Karl Denninger  <karl at Mcs.Net> wrote:
>
>   >Any provider that does not recognize the value of bilateral, no-settlement
>   >peering anywhere that its cost-effective for both parties (ie: if you have
>   >traffic destined for me, get it on MY network where I'm being paid to
>   >carry it and let ME figure the rest out!) deserves what they get.
>
>   Zero-settlement peerings open to anyone are demonstrably amount to
>   subsidies from large peers to small.
>
>   That already was beaten to death.  However, i repeat the argument:
>
>                                    Big Provider
>   Customer A ---[POP] ------------- 1000 miles -----------[POP]
>                                                            IXP
>                             Customer B ------[POP]-1 mile-[POP]
>                                                Small Provider
>
>   When customers A and B talk Big Provider pays to get them through
>   1000 miles.  Small Provider pays for 1 mile.
>
>   Note that i didn't even talk about less measurabe, but way too
>   more important things like hosting of information suppliers.
>   Say, Big Provider connects 1000 web sites; Small Provider hosts
>   1 site -- benefit from peering in terms of Web site diversity to
>   the Big Provider's customers is 0.1%.  To Small Provider's
>   customers the benefit of peering is 99.9%.
>
>   Zero-settlements work only when peers are of comparable size.
>   Any attempt to extort pressure to force it upon anyone simply
>   causes large folks to flee.
>
>   --vadim

---
Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)