Ungodly packet loss rates

Robert Laughlin robert at portal.dx.net
Wed Oct 23 16:33:40 UTC 1996

As one who is living this senerio on a daily basis, I can tell you it's
frustrating and upsetting.  We have gone so far as to test the legality
of what is happening  (there *must* be someone we can sue <grin>).  Public
peering works well these days as the large networks move their traffic
off the NAPs, freeing up bandwidth for the mid to smaller networks.

The model that makes sense to me, is for the largest networks to exchange
traffic through private interconnects, and for them to treat the
aggregated NAP traffic as another large ISP.  The NAP is then used for the
2nd tier and smaller providers to exchange traffic with each other, as
well as a collection point to gather up traffic for the large networks.
Unfortunately, at least so far, the first tier providers are not
supporting this approach, forcing me and others I assume, to purchase
connectivity.

Best Regards,
Robert Laughlin
DataXchange                sales:  800-863-1550            http://www.dx.net
       Network Operations Center:  703-903-7412 -or- 888-903-7412