You are right [was Re: Ungodly packet loss rates]

edd at acm.org edd at acm.org
Wed Oct 23 11:27:23 UTC 1996

> >   ISPs.  They do this for routers, bridges, FR services so they can
> >   probably find a respectable consulting/measurement group to  collect
> Yes, they do. It would be better (sometimes) if they did not -:)
>
> When I read their comparations I sometimes think to drom all my hardware
> (BAD in terms of this magasines) and bue new one (Bay Networks as BB routers,
> FORE ATM as ATM
> , etc...). Through it's strange idea (for example) to compare
> hight-end Bay router with CS7200 (middle-range router), or to
> compare middle-range Lt1010 with Cascade back-bone ATM switchs.
> And I am afraid thy would use the same technik for ISP comparation.

Well, besides being interesting ISP comparison *may* not be as objective and
informative as we'd like to. In addition, what technique do you propose for
such comparison? Just asking customers aren't enough, IMHO. And you can't
count *every* ISP, even in the US...

My 2c,

Edgar

--
Edgar V.S. Der-Danieliantz	Armenia Network Information Center
hostmaster at amnic.net		Azatootianne 1, Yerevan, Armenia