Fast Networks [was Re: Ungodly packet loss rates]

Kent W. England kwe at 6SigmaNets.com
Tue Oct 22 19:40:14 UTC 1996

At 06:54 PM 21-10-96 -0700, bmanning at ISI.EDU wrote:

>	We can build bigger doors (MTU)  but the conveyer belts are stuck
>	at 100Mm/sec.  We need faster conveyer belts!

We have them now.

>	(waiting for HPPI-64 or G-Ether technologies w/ baited breath :)

No need to wait.
(Oh, and it would be better if your breath were bated rather than baited :-)

>	And then watch out 2-4Gbps backplanes... (that is aggregate right?)
>
>--
>--bill

There are technologies that already have aggregate throughput of 20+Gbps.

--Kent
speaking as a L2 agnostic and PacBell NAP consultant