The road not taken (was Re: Ungodly packet loss rates)

Sean Donelan SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM
Tue Oct 22 03:37:44 UTC 1996

>You're transiting two NAPs (MAE-WEST and the DEC exchange (?)) which
>both provide service that's essential on one hand (wide access to
>the greater Internet) and lousy on the other hand (focussed access
>to a particular site).

This whole thread seems to have taken a wrong turn somewhere, or ignored
the fact that this is really goofy routing.

Best (TLG) and BBNplanet are both at mae-west, yet velvet.com packets
traverse Alternet to get to cisco.com.  Cisco also appears to have a
direct connection to Alternet which is also at mae-west, yet the packets
traverse BBNplanet.

I would prefer to think there is an 'Oops' somewhere.  I don't know why
any provider would purposely do this to their customer's traffic.