Ungodly packet loss rates

Dorian R. Kim dorian at cic.net
Tue Oct 22 02:10:27 UTC 1996

On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Billy Biggs wrote:

> Looking for opinions here: Do I have the right, as a citizen of the
> internet, to phone up the NOC of another major provider to solve packet
> loss through their routers?

You should talk to your provider who should try resolution of problem with the
provider in question.

This is the only scalable way for this to work. Having various folks call up
NOCs for various problem is pretty close to a nightmare scenario for someone
who is concerned with NOC staffing and response time.

The fact that this approach may current not work well means that we should fix
the inter-provider cooperation, rather then routing around it by having end
users call NOCs of providers.

If this happened, I wouldn't be surprised to see NOC phone numbers becoming
semi secret or requiring authentication.

-dorian