GigaRouter (Was Re: Cisco as Big Brother))

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Mon Oct 21 02:55:06 UTC 1996

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Paul A Vixie wrote:

> as long as we're doing hardware design on the nanog list again, i'd like to
> mention that there's a little device that sits on an ISA bus and has an
> onboard PCIC (PCMCIA bus controller).  to this one attaches a pair of
> 50-pin ribbon cables, and to these one attaches a device that fits
> physically where a 3.5-inch floppy drive would fit (which means you
> generally need a 5.25-inch expansion mount, cost:$3.00).  the whole thing
> costs about $150.
>
> if your UNIX-like system that runs on an ISA bus also would run on a laptop
> and knows how to support PCMCIA devices, it will see these slots as
> completely normal.  and if you put an NCR WaveLAN into one, you have
> yourself an ether/wireless router.

Yes, the prob is that it uses the CPU to do the BGP stuff and to route
packets. This is a bad way to do it, you dont want to use your CPU to move
the packets.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales at netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34