GigaRouter (Was Re: Cisco as Big Brother))

Craig A. Huegen c-huegen at quad.quadrunner.com
Sun Oct 20 21:17:19 UTC 1996

On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Rob Liebschutz wrote:

==>Is this a general statement about flash, or just about the flash in Ciscos?
==>I'd find it hard to believe that well designed solid state devices could
==>be lest reliable than a disk drive, especially since a large part of a disk
==>drive is solid state as well.

In all the experience I have had with ciscos, I have only seen three
instances in which some type of memory was lost:

* An old CGS lost its NVRAM config due to invalid checksum
* A 3204's NVRAM had a problem approximately 1000 bytes into the config.
  If you had a small config, it would work fine, but when you write a
  larger config to memory, then reload, it would report that checksum was
  invalid.
* A 1003's PCMCIA socket believed any flash card inserted was
  write-protected.  This could have been due to bent PCMCIA pins, but I
  didn't bother to find out.

/cah