GigaRouter (Was Re: Cisco as Big Brother))

Robert Sanders rsanders at mindspring.net
Sun Oct 20 05:20:00 UTC 1996

Vadim Antonov <avg at quake.net> writes:

> In my experience flash is a lot _less_ reliable than HDs.  Ciscos losing
> flash contents aren't that uncommon.
> So, for a boot device floppy is probably the best (providing it's not

In my experience, in an equal amount of hours of running Netblazers
and Ciscos, the routers' flash has never failed me while the
Netblazers *all* eventually failed to boot from floppy.  The
environment wasn't especially dusty, but it wasn't a clean room.  I'd
hesitate to use any floppy-booted device intended for use out of arm's
reach.

  -- Robert