GigaRouter Latency?

Deepak Jain deepak at jain.com
Sat Oct 19 23:29:27 UTC 1996

Now I know a lot of people are going to jump on me for raising the
latency question here, and I don't want to inflate its importance at all.

Latency in a router is only somewhat important for most network
applications but on some applications it has a very serious effect. If
anyone would like to flame me, please do it in private email and I am
sure I will find the time to get back to you :).

How does the latency through a Gigarouter compare to the latency of say a
NetBSD or FreeBSD box with (say) FDDI interfaces. [Ignoring the fact that
most BSD boxes are running on a single PCI bus]. Basically I am curious
how much advantage/disadvantage one gets by going from a Cisco to a
Gigarouter solution based on issues like latency. I am sure the
difference we are talking about is very slight and <2ms total, I just
want to get an idea and I don't trust most of the technical sales
personnel I have talked to to get a straight answer. I am very familiar
with the latency of BSD (typical) boxes and those of Cisco Routers.

Thanks,

-Deepak.