GigaRouter (Was Re: Cisco as Big Brother))

John G. Scudder jgs at ieng.com
Sat Oct 19 00:29:02 UTC 1996

At 2:08 PM -0400 10/18/96, Susan Hares wrote:
>Netstar is GateD Consortium member.  We have been jointly working
>with Netstar on adding additional features to bgp.
>John Scudder has also been helping with this effort to enhance GateD.

This is correct (so is the rest that I didn't quote!).  So, this:

At 10:06 AM -0700 10/18/96, Bill Fenner wrote:
>Netstar no longer uses their own modified gated; you can run whatever
>release of gated you like.  The magic now happens below the routing
>socket, as opposed to in gated itself.

is both right and wrong.  It's right in that Ascend (nee Netstar) has moved
the "magic" to its (IMO) proper place below the routing socket.  It's wrong
insofar as they have been investing in improving and extending the gated
they provide, to make it more stable and full-featured (we've added
communities, aspath-prepend, route reflection and various other
ISP-oriented features, also various bug fixes).

Followups to this thread should probably be moved to private e-mail, or to
gated-people at gated.org.

Regards,

--John

John Scudder                        email:  jgs at ieng.com
Internet Engineering Group, LLC     phone:  (313) 669-8800
122 S. Main, Suite 280              fax:    (313) 669-8661
Ann Arbor, MI  41804                www:    http://www.ieng.com