GigaRouter (Was Re: Cisco as Big Brother))

alex at relcom.eu.net alex at relcom.eu.net
Fri Oct 18 16:30:42 UTC 1996

>   >You said - "gated"? Oh my gawd...
>
>   It's very popular in some circles to bash gated; I'm not quite sure why.
>   I'm seldom able to get specific, substantive criticisms from people who
>   make comments like these, other than to say that the configuration language
>   is not obvious and not well-documented (I agree, for now).
By my experience, gated have _WELL DOCUMENTED_ configuration files,
and well defined configuration ideas. The control for redistributions
is much easy via gated than via IOS. If IOS is the heap
of different commands withouth any order (let's try to configure
async interface - why do you have write -
peer default address ...
async ...
ip unnumbered ...

etc, etc - there is only THE GOD and THE SYSTEM PROGRAMMERS who can
remember this crasy configurations).

This is easy to understand _WHY_. THis is because gated is 1-protocol
router, not multiprotocol. It have not thousand of useless commands.
It was written by the small programmer's group.

Why do I write it? Not because I think freeware gated can compete with IOS.
But because gated is well designed project (and program) and it can be
impoved hardly by the good software company. And why do you think router XXX
have to be bad because it's based on _gated_ program? If somebody will implement
all nessesary IOS's features in the gated-based program - I'll prefere this
(if other things would be the same) because it's easy to configure and to control.

---
Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)