Cisco as Big Brother (Was Re: Cisco's AIP vs HSSI)

Michael Fox Michael_Fox at BayNetworks.COM
Fri Oct 18 15:11:41 UTC 1996

At 02:28 AM 10/18/96 -0500, you wrote:

>In message <199610180717.AAA16438 at netservice.ca.navigist.com>, "Joe Rhett" writ
>es:
>>
>>>    But you can't get one engineer to hack something into the router
>>>    code for you on just his say-so anymore. But once you could. I dunno
>>>    maybe you still can, but I think you have to have megabucks behind
>>>    you to do it.
>>
>>> Yes, you can, but you have to do it under the table and via direct
>>> contacts.  And a bottle of cask strength single malt will help.  ;-)
>>

>>You know, I find it hard to think of this as a feature - especially
>>given the number of times the "quick hack" broke something else. And
>>it's always missing the next release of the software.
>>
>>It takes an Act of God to get Bay to release a fix - but it works when
>>they release it, and it works in the next full release too.
>
>I know of a bunch of very useful things that originated this
>way that are in production code on my cisco boxes now.  If
>sprint had been in a situtation where they need a new feature X
>in order to make the network run at all, because no one
>had designed they network to grow like it did, I'd hate to have
>bought Bay and not be able to get a timely fix.
>
>I would definately ask my router vendor hard questions about
>how quickly a fix will be released assuming I have a "network down"
>condition.

Bay generally releases fixes every few weeks.  For a "network down"
situation, if releasing a workspace immediately is the right thing to do,
then that's what we do.  Who makes the call?  The customer, after receiving
input from the Bay engineering team.

Michael