generators, etc....

William Allen Simpson wsimpson at greendragon.com
Thu Oct 17 00:09:51 UTC 1996

> From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis at ans.net>
> If we hold BBN to the same standards that the telco industry uses to
> come up with 99.999%, BBN was up but "a few customers" experienced a
> localized outage.  This would be brushed off the same as the Illinious
> AT&T fire at the POP that took out much of the Chicago suburbs for
> about a week.  It doesn't count against the 99.999%.  (Otherwise AT&T
> owes Chicago a couple thousand years of flawless service:).

I remember my complaint on the IETF list some years back, when
NSFnet/ANS would routinely tout high availability, by eliminating any
link outages from their report, as they were not under its control ...
or route flaps greater than 5 minutes, for unknown reasons.  ;-)

WSimpson at UMich.edu
BSimpson at MorningStar.com