hole punching reality check

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Oct 17 02:07:00 UTC 1996

Provider P allocates a block of address space A to customer, I an ISP.

I allocates a /24, call it B, out of that block to one of their customers, C.

C later leaves ISP I and gets a wire directly from provider P.

I wishes to give C time to renumber.

I would expect the world to see the following announcements.

A - I announcing a shorter prefix, A
B - P announcing a more specific for the /24 allocated to C

Is this not what we all expect?

Why I ask is we have provider P telling I that they should stop announcing A
and instead announce a bunch of prefixes around the /24.

randy