Cisco as Big Brother (Was Re: Cisco's AIP vs HSSI)

Jon Green jon at worf.netins.net
Wed Oct 16 12:46:59 UTC 1996

On Wed, 16 Oct 96 16:01:56 +0400, alex at relcom.eu.net writes:

>>   As for competition, keep an eye on Bay.  They are putting some serious
>>   effort into Internet development.  The hardware is already there, and has
>>   been there for a long time.  The software is getting there very quickly,
>>   especially with companies like mine and ANS working with them.  I have
>>   a feeling Cisco will always be in the lead, but they may not have such
>>   a comfortable lead for much longer.  Which is a Good Thing, since
>>   competition fuels development.
>>
>>   -Jon
>And what do you think about Ascend's effort to get big piece of this
>market via their new back-bone router?

I took a look at the Ascend GRF (which stands for "Goes Real Fast").  I
was impressed with the performance of it, but not with the size.  It's
too small.  With only 4 slots, it can have 8 HSSI ports, 8 ATM OC-3
ports, or 4 OC-12 ports.  I don't think that's large enough for most of
the big providers.  It also has no V.35 ports, which are important for
some of us that are doing a mixture of high-speed links and slower T1.
The number of packets this thing can push through it is impressive, though.

-Jon

    *      Jon Green            *   Wide-Area Networking Technician   *
   *     jon at netINS.net         *   Iowa Network Services, Inc.        *
  *  Finger for Geek Code/PGP   *   312 8th Street, Suite 730           *
 *  #include "std_disclaimer.h" *   Des Moines, IA 50309                 *