Cisco's AIP vs HSSI

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Tue Oct 15 14:55:50 UTC 1996

> > 	I don't think that HSSI was designed as a point solution
> > 	until ATM came along.  Couching your answers in the context
> > 	of an ATM solution is presumption, or so it appears to me.
> >
> > --
> > --bill
>
> Are you talking about point-to-point ATM or just point-to-point applications
> in general?
>
> My wild-assed guess would be that about 45% of HSSI boards are running
> point-to-point HDLC or PPP and 45% are running Frame, with the rest SMDS
> and ATM and god knows what else.
>
> Avi

	The orginal question can be paraphrased as; "which
	board is better" (see the subject line).
	Tim S. couched his replies in the form of an ATM only
	solution.  I feel that the HSSI board was not designed
	as such.  Your comments seem to back up my assertions.
	I would claim that for raw throughput, and assuming
	the DS3 daughtercard for the AIP, that the HSSI board
	delivers more useful bits at the expense of an outboard
	CSU.  This is based on my feeling that HDLC is more efficent
	than ATM signaling/framing.

--
--bill