BBN outage

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Tue Oct 15 03:07:04 UTC 1996

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Patrick J. Chicas wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I don't understand how they could have 3 different power systems fail
> without a serious operations procedural error.

They did not, the transfer switch did.

> > Yep this happens all the time, the transfer switch dies and then you are
> > screwed because you don't switch to backup power.
>
> In 18 years of telecom management I have never seen a "Transfer Switch" as
> a component failure. I have seen quite a few overloaded battery strings,
> and UPS's backed by rusty generators.

Well this is one, and I have only been on this planet 20 years and have
seen 2 be the failure.

> > Your UPS system then run
> > out of power and you are dead. That is why we are building a manual
> > maintenance wraparound around the UPS AND the transfer switch so that if
> > they switch does die you can manually have some guy bypass the switch.
>
> All quality Transfer Switches should have manual activation as a root
> function. Even a relatively small 15kw transfer switches automatic
> functions work to move a manual switch.

True, all things can break.

> As a rule, power system maintenance for critical equipment should comprise
> the following:
>
> UPS- Never exceed 80% load. Replace batteries (good or not) per
> manufactures guidlines. Initiate load transfer tests once per quarter.
>
> Batteries- Preform cell maintenance quarterly, to include individual cell
> voltage and gravity tests and, the surface cleaning of all terminal
> hardware.

Also keep keep at or around 75^

> Generators- Find a good generator maintenance contractor for routine
> maintenace needs. Exercise the unit under load each month.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales at netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34