CIX Filtering...

David R. Conrad davidc at apnic.net
Mon Oct 14 06:27:10 UTC 1996

Hi,

>does any one know if they really ever did filter?

I believe they did, but Paul Vixie could answer authoritatively if
this issue is of major concern.  My impression was that the CIX board
felt they *had* to filter of they'd have been nailed for not promoting
the industry (in violation of their tax exempt status) since they were
selectively filtering some ISPs and not others -- it has to be either
filter everyone or filter no one, and the CIX board chose "on" (since
they were already filtering some sites).  However, I think within 6
months of deploying the filters, the CIX membership voted to turn them
off completely.

>On Sun, 13 Oct 1996, Ehud Gavron wrote:
>> 	Actually it was the CIX' hubris in thinking their interconnect
>> 	to be of a value higher than all of its member networks.

I don't think they actually thought this -- I believe they were aware
the total number of routes filtered would be less than two dozen.  My
impression (after several discussions) was that the CIX board felt the
filters were a necessity to keep the lawyers/IRS off their back.

>>SPRINTLINK (Bob Collette) quickly indicated they would route around
                          ^-- president of CIX at the time
>>the CIX, and that made the whole issue moot.

Bob and Paul would probably be the best people to talk to about this
if you want the real answers...

Regards,
-drc