Creating exchanges [Was: Re: MAE-East - 30%]

Barry Raveendran Greene barry at singnet.com.sg
Mon Oct 14 00:21:41 UTC 1996

Hello Robert,

Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

>Hong Kong looks slightly promising except for the slight problem of
>next summer.  Singapore is probably a no-go because of how anal the
>government is there; all we need is an AP CIX with a host government
>enforced AUP that says "no dirty gifs, no politically unacceptable
>speech, etc.".

Actually, when you count the number of countries directly interconnected at any Asia Pacific IX (including the ones on the US West Cost) STIX - Singapore Telecom Internet Exchange is currently #1. (see http://www.stix.net).

Singapore's SBA (the Internet censor) has stated over and over again that business and international traffic are NOT their problem. They just out to protect the people at home - and that's Singapore's really none of our business (and not a topic for NANOG). Please read the information from the source vs reading biased reporters from the US - http://www.gov.sg/sba.

As to you other point, AP CIX is a no go in Asia Pacific. This discussion as been going on for over 4 years. I've been involved and actively trying to make it happen for over 3 years. The cable consortium, telco, national, AP ISP and US ISP politics prevent any type of successful 'neutral' IX in Asia Pacific.

Barry

--
Barry Raveendran Greene             |       ||        ||        |
Senior Consulting Engineering       |       ||        ||        |