generators, etc....

Alan Hannan alan at mindvision.com
Sun Oct 13 05:16:26 UTC 1996

  Hello,

  Just to chime in with some historical bullocks....

> Don't forget 500 year floods that happen twice in a couple of years,
> e.g. the midwest. Or the occasional bombing, e.g. our New York City
> POP is in Hackensack, NJ now, the MIDNET router in Oklahoma City is
> in a landfill now.  An Internet connection is pretty far down on the
> list of important things in a real disaster.

  Actually, no....

  The MIDnet OKC pop did not go down w/ the Murrah building bombing.
  1 or 2 customers went down that were physically proximitous to the
  blast, however.  The LEC/RBOC FR network stayed up too...

  Still, the point is well taken that un-meshed networks can not stand
  significant damage from unforeseen natural/unnatural diasters.
  Meshing the network doesn't guarantee much, but gives you a chance
  of diminishing the harm.

  -alan