generators, etc....

Zachary DeAquila zachary at zachs.place.org
Sun Oct 13 00:02:50 UTC 1996

  Sure, Mike, but how do you protect against an airplane falling out of the
sky?  or having the building that houses your generators flattened by
a runaway semi?  Or the ever present possibility that the building next
door will have a gas leak and explode?  And what about that house-sized
meteor that could come hurtling down?

  Give me a break.  Hindsight is 20/20, it's easy to see how things could
have been avoided, but excessive paranoia can and does get in the way of
getting real work done.  Any engineer worth his salt will tell you that
100% reliability is unattainable - IMHO, these days with the technology
we work with daily as young as it is, I'm impressed with 90% uptime...

For all the effort you put into saying how you could have done better,
I sure hope you check the fuel quality on your generator and hide it
(and the rest of your ISP) in a flood-proof well ventilated bomb shelter.
I hear the goverment has an installation that might meet your standards
somewhere under Cheyenne Mountain....

  -Z