Creating exchanges [Was: Re: MAE-East - 30%]

Robert E. Seastrom rs at bifrost.seastrom.com
Sat Oct 12 17:46:35 UTC 1996

   From: rja at cisco.com (Ran Atkinson)

     It is my understanding that one can access the fiber transiting
   Guam without any special obstacles.

   Ran

   PS: Go look at UUNET's map online...

The fact that UUnet is planning to access DS-3 level service on Guam
when they are owned by Worldcom, who owns part of the fiber, is not a
reasonable metric for whether one can purchase retail service at high
capacity.  Worldcom can do whatever they bloody well please with their
strands as they go through Guam.  Come to think of it, I seem to
recall hearing that UUnet (pre-MFS-buyout) had bought in to some of
the international cable consortia, though I might be mistaken.

Anyway, do not over-simplify the politics and the time lag of getting
the telcos to do anything.

                                        ---Rob