Creating exchanges [Was: Re: MAE-East - 30%]

Miguel A.L. Paraz map at iphil.net
Sat Oct 12 14:59:18 UTC 1996

Hi,

Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> If things have changed since then I'd be interestied to know; as it
> greatly affects whether Guam is a "logical" place to put an AP-CIX.

How about the ISPs in Guam, and the University of Guam?

> 'Course, if everyone who joins decides to run a full OC12 or OC48
> or whatever they run on a single strand of glass in one of those
> cables to the island, there wouldn't be any need for grooming out
> bandwidth out there?

Well, if they would split it out later for connections to an exchange
point.  Kinda ironic that the cable has to "split" out just for the
purpose of "mixing" all the signals together.

I think this Guam-based NAP would make an interesting project, especially
for people like us who need it.  :)

Or, if the Guam folks decide they need a lot of bandwidth, they'll have it.

--
miguel a.l. paraz   <map at iphil.net>       iphil communications, makati city, ph
PGP ID: 0x43F0D011  http://www.iphil.net  isp/intranet design & implementation