BBN outage

Rob Liebschutz rob at rjl.com
Fri Oct 11 23:14:32 UTC 1996

> Most of the SF Bay Area portion of BBN Planet's network has been offline
> since late last night. I've finally heard, via a friend who is a major
> customer of theirs, that they are having power problems in Palo Alto.
>
> Now, I haven't heard a peep about this on any of the mailing lists I'm on...
> and since knowing about BIG outages like this would make it easier for
> me to answer my customer's questions... am I missing something?
>
> Is there a mailing list that I should be on? Or is this just a private
> BBN issue that I'd need to call their ops center people about (people who
> I'm sure are very very busy without small network operators calling them)
>
> -matthew kaufman
>  matthew at scruz.net

I just spoke to their NOC and was told that a power switch that is
supposed to be able to switch them between 3 different power utilities
failed at 12:30 this morning (friday).  They bought and installed 2
large diesel generators today and are hoping to be back up using the
generators within 30 minutes.

Rob