Creating exchanges

Robert Mathews-ICICX mathews at gold.chem.hawaii.edu
Fri Oct 11 21:18:34 UTC 1996

On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, Ran Atkinson wrote:

> 	Hawaii does have lots of fiber.  Monetary costs for circuits between
> Guam and Hawaii are not ignorable.  Also, back-haul all the way to Hawaii
> for an intra-Asia interconnect causes a significant increase in latency
> when compared with a Guam-based interconnect.  (No, I've never been to
> Guam and I don't own any land or fiber there :-)

    Adding to:

    The cost of transiting bits beyond CONUS to the Pacific is still
quite significant.  TA circuit costs come to mind in comparison.  I can
remember it being NOT all too long ago, when a DS1 from HI to CA was
being priced roughly around US$56K/Mo.

    For Intra-Asia applications.. Indeed, Hawaii would not be the
appropriate spot.  However, when someone considers having to enable a
tie-in to CONUS from certain parts of the Pacific,  Hawaii might appear
as a natural choice.

> Ran
> rja at cisco.com

All the best,