Creating exchanges [Was: Re: MAE-East - 30%]

Paul Ferguson pferguso at cisco.com
Fri Oct 11 00:17:31 UTC 1996

This is also the reason why we [collectively] are encouraging the
creation of local exchange points outside of North America. The
situation where two providers in The Phillipines (for example)
have to back-haul traffic to the US to exchange bits is contributing
to the overall problem. This needs to be fixed, but it certainly
won't happen overnight, primarily due to the economic situation
in the general locale. The possibility to correct this problem
increases as deregulation happens.

- paul