Internet II is coming...

Stephen Wolff swolff at cisco.com
Thu Oct 10 10:25:04 UTC 1996

>The fiber infrastructure and the multiplexer infrastructure are good enough
>to support both Internet and Internet II. What the Internet lacks for
>Internet II today is IP tunnels with QoS. So I think that one IP
>infrastructure could be good enough for both and will be some day. This I
>believe.  :-)

It **is** one IP infrastructure.  The difference between a corporate
intranet and the academic version - I-II - is the stringency of AUP
observance and enforcement.

>BTW, is someone going to build traffic monitors and diagnostic tools into
>the Internet II infrastructure? Any new inter-domain routing protocols?
>Source demand routing? QoS? Or are the universities satisfied with just more
>bandwidth?

One reason for any vendor to participate is to try such things in the
fiercely critical yet basically friendly academic community.

-s

Stephen Wolff                                        Business Development
ciscoSystems                                         202 337 1213