Make Money Fast (Internet II )

Dorian R. Kim dorian at cic.net
Thu Oct 10 06:27:20 UTC 1996

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Ehud Gavron wrote:

> I work 80 hours a week not only because I'm an IP engineer*, but also because
> I'm a consultant and a business owner of an ISP.

Boy, you are lucky. Only 80 hr a week? What's your secret?

> If there will be an Internet II, I see LOTS AND LOTS of opportunities for any
> person with a brain, and even some CNEs.
>
> For an Internet II to be designed, implemented, maintained, connected to
> R&E sites all over the country, and successfully, LOTS of consulting dollars
> are going to be spent.  As someone who actually understands packets, headers,
> routing, etc. I suspect I'll be quite busy.  This is good.

Heh, I guess you aren't that familiar with how large R&E universities work.
Most of them already have a fairly good/outstanding group of net engineering
folks who like slaving away 100+ hrs/week for very substandard wage for the
sake of the lovely "academic" environment. (don't ask me why)

And if that's not enough, they have herds of clueless but moderately
intelligent and very willing CE/CS grad students/undergrad they would happily
throw into the fire to see if they have asbestos skin.

What, you think NSFNET I/ARPAnet was built with expensive consulting dollars
or something?

-dorian