Fractal models of Big-I Internet

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Thu Oct 10 00:49:59 UTC 1996

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Sean Doran wrote:

>  The problem
> is that this doesn't really work well just yet, and I'm disinclined
> to believe that it's likely to work well with big-I Internet traffic
> ever, thanks to its rather fractal nature.

Given that real world systems that exhibit fractal behaviors can now often
be modelled mathematically, do you know of anyone who has attempted to
apply such fractal models to Internet traffic? When designing protocols
do researchers take this fractal nature into account?

I suppose the second question would be somewhat moot if there is not yet
an accepted fractal model to math the Internet...

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049