Internet II is coming...

Vadim Antonov avg at quake.net
Thu Oct 10 00:24:47 UTC 1996

Deepak Jain <deepak at jain.com> wrote:

>I suspect that they will be going completely switched and have very few
>total points on the whole network (depending on what configuration they
>go to). A network of OC12s or OC48s in a redundant star will  have
>significant performance benefits because 1) no routing, or very symmetric
>routing.

Except for what is in the center.  Or is piling trouble into one
place makes less of it?  I guess just opposite.

>2) very low latency <8ms coast to coast I'd suspect.

Sure, dude.  Faster than light networks are coming.  FYI, latency in
rouetrs in the existing backbones is only about 15% of wire dalays.

>3) priority queues, quality of service, reserved bandwidth, etc.

And nice salaries to the activists and "research" grants for something
any qualified network engineer knows as A-B-C.

>I am not even touching the Mae-East at 30% fantasy. All I know is that the
>UUNet <--> Sprint OC3 private connect at Tysons Corner is at better than
>24Mbits average and mostly limited to router CPU problems.

FYI, that interconnect _is_ a part of planned extension of MAE-East which
is conviniently located next to Tysons Corner (Tysons Corner is a shopping
mall).  The ablility to bypass shared medium by simply dragging a 10' piece of
cable is why the colocated IXP architecture was selected in the first place.

--vadim