Internet II is coming...

Deepak Jain deepak at jain.com
Wed Oct 9 21:03:33 UTC 1996

I suspect that they will be going completely switched and have very few
total points on the whole network (depending on what configuration they
go to). A network of OC12s or OC48s in a redundant star will  have
significant performance benefits because 1) no routing, or very symmetric
routing. 2) very low latency <8ms coast to coast I'd suspect. 3) priority
queues, quality of service, reserved bandwidth, etc.

They could also use the BFR from Cisco whenever that comes out, which is
supposed to do OC48 speeds :)

I haven't read the Inet-2 information, so I don't know what kind of trunk
lines they are using, but I am pretty sure they want interconnect speeds
far faster than even multiple DS3 connects to each other, and they will
tolerate whatever internet-1 performance they can get.

I am not even touching the Mae-East at 30% fantasy. All I know is that the
UUNet <--> Sprint OC3 private connect at Tysons Corner is at better than
24Mbits average and mostly limited to router CPU problems.

-Deepak.