Internet II is coming...

Tersian tersian at leba.net
Wed Oct 9 05:01:25 UTC 1996

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Michael Dillon wrote:

> You neglected to point out that Joe Blow and John Dough are both
> undergraduate students at the two universities in question and are using
> up the university's T1 that was virtually empty two years ago.

Actaully, no, Joe and John were employees at major corporations that have
bought T1's for their web servers so that they can sell a product and
allow employees to browse the web when they are bored, or use it to find
a better job.

> > entertainment purposes.  Wouldn't you be a little upset when your ftp was
> > finished at .098K/s over a multi-homed DS3?
>
> Sure, if I were a clueless biochem researcher I would be peeved. But if I
> were a clueful biochem researcher then I would realize that networking is
> not my specialty and I would be overstepping myself to make claims in the

Actually if you were a biochem professor, clueless or not about
networking, you would still be pissed off because of A.) all the
undergrads downloading porn/warez while you try and get things done B.)
The slow speed of the transfer as compared to a year ago. (Yes, the
network connections are faster but they have not been upgraded to
compensate for the massive influx of people) It's like saying, cars are
faster today on the N.Y. freeways, which may be true, but there is still
traffic jams and conjestion, so for the most part no one is going any faster.
Plus, add 200% more people onto that freeway and you are going nowhere, I
don't care if they are all in ferraris or if you widen the road two fold.

> you have ten problems with virtually identical symptoms you will track
> them down to ten different root causes. It could be as simple as a faulty
> Ethernet card on the machine in the office down the hall causing spurious
> collisions, a broken router in a grossly overheated wiring closet, or
> water in an sloppily spliced copper cable.

I belive this goes further than the LAN, or even the local WAN setup. I
am sure they could wire the whole school with FDDI and they would get
super inter-campus performance, but once they step outside they are back
at everyone elses mercy.

Ben