Internet II is coming...

Gordon Cook cook at netaxs.com
Wed Oct 9 00:32:49 UTC 1996

Dorian writes:  So if you follow that train of thought, building
a private net for "important/meritorious" traffic makes some amount of
sense.

Cook: who chooses to define what is meritorious/important?

>From what I understand Internet II will be brought to us by IBM using ATT
bit pipes. The vBNS is a $50 million NSF investment in MCI. I *DO* wonder
how synergy between the efforts is to be achieved?

Ironically I understand that it is MCI measured usage charging on DS-3s
that has increased the cost of this bandwidth to universities by 300 to
400 per cent over what they had been paying that is increasing their
anguish.

Bill manning adds:    When will MCI/Sprint/WorldCom/ATT provide cost
effective, clear channel OC48 pipes?

Cook: when hell freezes over is my guess.

The COOK Report on Internet               For subsc. pricing & more than
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA     ten megabytes of free material
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)              visit   http://pobox.com/cook/
Internet: cook at cookreport.com             For case study of MercerNet &
TIIAP induced harm to local community  http://pobox.com/cook/mercernet.html