Problems with Spintlink between MAE West & Stockton POP

Mark Boolootian booloo at cats.ucsc.edu
Tue Oct 8 15:05:18 UTC 1996

We've been seeing significant packet loss across the Sprintlink circuit
between MAE West and their Stockton POP.  I note that there's a big hike in
RTT at the Stockton POP:

 sl-mae-w-F0/0.sprintlink.net (198.32.136.11)  15 ms  39 ms  13 ms
 sl-stk-6-H3/0-T3.sprintlink.net (144.228.10.45)  224 ms  185 ms  222 ms

On Oct 2nd, I heard something along the lines that route damping was in
effect (this was from Sprintlink).  I presume what was meant was route
flapping was eating CPU.

Does anyone have any information on what's taking place?  There's a heck of
a lot of traffic that flows across this path, and the packet loss is killing
performance (and making the phone ring).

Thanks,
mb