My First Denial of Service Attack..... (fwd)

Tersian tersian at leba.net
Mon Oct 7 18:34:34 UTC 1996

> Here's a non-relevant anecdote you reminded me of:

Your anecdote reminded me of a story someone told me recently about AT&T.

I am not going to type it all out here, but I will summarize.

Company A hires Company B to do some trenching along the highway to
install new fiber for Company A. Company B's backhoe operator
accidentally cuts a major AT&T backbone causing serious outages. AT&T not
only sues the backhoe driver, but Company B and Company A, forcing them
both to declair chapter 11.

My point is here, if we start taking hackers to court, what happens in
this scenario:

Hacker is from badguy.com telnets to compromised.jumpoff.com then SYN
floods att.com?

[Disclaimer: the hosts above were for demonstrative purposes only, the
hosts are fictional, bearing no direct correlation to any living or dead]

Who gets sued? Both providers, neither, or just the hacker?

It brings up some interesting questions.

Ben