TCP SYN attacks - a simple solution

Tim Bass bass at linux.silkroad.com
Mon Oct 7 01:07:34 UTC 1996

> best solution known so far is Random Drop of waiting connections

Random Drop and Oldest drop do not work against high speed attacks.

I thought it was agreed by all on this list last week that Jeff's
solution to delay data structure initialization until after the
handshake is complete was more reliable than Random Drop and
is proven by Jeff on BSD to work with high speed attacks.

I'm confused on the "Random Drop is best" statement, Mike?  There
are very reliable 'others' who seem to have a better and more
robust solution.

Why the bias toward a solution that does not work but in the
slow case?

Best Regards,

Tim