DoS, ICMP, proxies, SYNDefender

Tim Bass bass at linux.silkroad.com
Fri Oct 4 18:52:58 UTC 1996

> Right on! PHRACK will be publishing my program to transmit bogus ICMP
> UNREACHABLE packets in the december 2001 issue. It's called the Bass
> Player. :-)

Wonderful!  And Phack with publish a patch to ip_input.c that redirects all
bogus ICMP directs root names servers as SYN packets called the
Dillion Diversion :-)  (think about it..)

Therefore:

It does not matter what the packet *is* or the information in the
packet, it is up to the protocol implementor(s) to 'do the
right thing' when a packet is received.

TCP is broken.  ICMP is broken.  It is not Phrack or 2600 that
broke it.

VR,

Tim