'show ip bgp' musings and a useful script

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Fri Oct 4 00:27:41 UTC 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 07:26:46 -0700
From: Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at rahul.net>
To: inet-access at earth.com
Subject: 'show ip bgp' musings and a useful script

I wanted to see if the global Internet was receiving routing announcements
for one of my netblocks, and wished there were several strategic places,
all over the Internet, where one could do the equivalent of Cisco's
'show ip bgp'.  Similar to remote traceroutes that can be done at a
number of URLs, such as http://www.getnet.com/cgi-bin/trace.

People might not jump at the chance of letting the rest of the world
access their routers, but I am going to try to make it real easy for
them.  To this end I have written and made available a perl5 script that
will telnet to your Cisco router, log in with the non-enable password,
and do 'show ip bgp' for selected networks.  I think it's reasonably
secure.

Point your web browser towards

     http://www.rahul.net/dhesi/

and follow the links to 'show ip bgp'.  Then -- please -- set it up
somewhere where you get a significant set of routes, so the rest of us
can get some debugging benefit.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at rahul.net>
"please ignore Dhesi" -- Mark Crispin <mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU>