New Denial of Service Attack on Panix\

Tim Bass bass at cais.cais.com
Thu Oct 3 07:06:15 UTC 1996

Two things:

(1)

> When there's nothing listening on those ports all the sockets, descriptors,
> queues, pcbs, etc... go away.

How about when a socket is actively listening?

(2)

Why when I do a traceroute to 0.0.0.4 or some similar bogus route,
the router does not send an ICMP destination unreachable error
back to me?

My plan tonight was to hack the tcp_err() routine for sockets in
the SYN_RECV state that is looking for an ACK and got an ICMP
UNREACHABLE instead.... however, the ICMP UNREACHABLE CLUES
never come.  As my 5 year old nephew says.... " I NEED THAT !"

Shouldn't these error messages be returned 'as a rule' ??

Thanks,

Tim