Peering versus Transit

Alan Hannan alan at mindvision.com
Wed Oct 2 15:52:59 UTC 1996

  Hi Avi,

> But what about when you add in the network engineering, monitoring,
> and maintenance you need when you run your own network?  Have you
> checked out market price on clueful network people who dance with
> BGP?  The cost comparison might look different then...

  I am in the process of finding a dancing sponser right now.  I am
  not finding that the salary is really an issue at all.  I dunno if
  I'm not as high-priced as some (doubtful, I've rather expensive
  hobbies) but the main challenge for me is/has been finding a fun
  challenging network to grow in a cool environment that has a good
  business plan.  Not finding someone to pay me what I want :-)

  I think when a company looks at paying $X-$Y gross monthly recurring,
  and they know that a clever netsavvy fellow like ourselves can save
  them that in utilization tricks, and can regenerate that revenue through
  clueful conversation with customers, they make some rather astute
  business decisions :-)

  Large numbers of  people are expensive, building large NOCs, support,
  implementation and sales engineers has a mediumish expense when scaled.
  But clueful design/expansion/transition types can have large investments.

  Certainly a modicum of skill is needed in each of those areas, but
  the theory and procedures (IMHO) can originate from a smallerish
  source.

  At least, that's what I'm seeing....

  -alan