"Basic BGP configuration problem"

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Tue Oct 1 20:39:16 UTC 1996

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Henry Kilmer writes:
> > >(b) Possible evidence for Metzger's cowboyism theory? Were these BGP
> > >configs tested before they were implemented?
> >
> > Yes.  And it wasn't the configs that were wrong.  It was a BGP related
> > Cisco bug.
>
> Did you test the configs in a lab first? Thats the best way to find
> these sorts of things -- in test...

Network engineers don't do lab stuff. That's for researchers.
Ride 'em cowboy!

> Did you have a backout plan in place to rapidly fall back in case of
> failure?

Hell no, just put them spurs to the hoss and ride... yeeeehaaaa!

Seems to me that it might be useful to have some sort of document that
explains just how cowboys operate their networks. What I have in mind is
something like Emily Postnews. How about it Perry, are you up to the task?

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049