Internic address allocation policy.

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at apollo.hp.com
Wed Nov 20 00:03:56 UTC 1996

   Even the private, behind the scenes, allocations
   made by the IANA, such as the @Home allocation which was not
   made based on SWIP information. How could it be? They did not even
   have customers, just a lot of venture capital and the "right" people
   on their staff.

Regardless of whether the skids were greased on this allocation, the
result is the right way to go..

As a definite outsider to all this, it looks like much of 24/8 has
been given out in /16../14 sized chunks to various cable operators,
with lots of space in between them (some of them have room to expand
to a /10 or /11...).

I already know at least two people who already have ip-over-catv
internet access, from two different providers, in two different
states.  I know of at least that many just in my town alone who are
likely to sign up the first day it's available (real soon now, they
keep saying...)..

The cable companies *do* have customers; they aren't IP customers
(yet), but they *are* customers, and no doubt the cable providers have
been able to demonstrate how many of their customers already have
computers and access to the internet via modem and are thus realistic
customers for the ip-over-cable system..

						- Bill