Internic address allocation policy

Billy Biggs ae687 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Nov 19 20:56:24 UTC 1996

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Eric Germann writes:
> > The barrier to entry for that poor person is significantly higher, in the
> > real world, for the poor person.  Net access may be had for $20/month.  But
> > the hardware is a significant barrier for the poor person.
>
> Used PCs capable of providing net access are very cheap these days --
> $100 will get you a not entirely unreasonable setup for many purposes.

Even cheeper.  Used VTs are excellent for this sort of purpose, etc.

However, there has been a dramatic decrease in the number of providers
offering shell or text-based Internet access.  The biggest problem I see
to the situation is when users _and_ providers believe they need
high-powered computers to access 'the net'.

--
Billy Biggs
ae687 at freenet.carleton.ca