Internic address allocation policy

Kim Hubbard kimh at internic.net
Tue Nov 19 18:29:20 UTC 1996

David,

Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that every ISP decides to do this.
What's to stop some ISPs from listing a bunch of companies that are
not their customers and are not really receiving address space from
them for the purpose of getting more address space.

Let's say I am an ISP and I receive a /19.  All I have to do is go
through the yellow pages and list a bunch of companies and their
addresses because no one is going to see this any way except the
InterNIC and they're certainly not going to start phoning every ISP
customer to verify they are a customer.  And just in case, I'll go
ahead and list myself as the POC in case they do decide to call.

Having the information public is one way to at least *attempt* to keep
things honest.

Kim