Internic address allocation policy

Jamie jamie at dilbert.multiverse.com
Tue Nov 19 06:07:15 UTC 1996

> Wayne Bouchard writes...
> >
> > Heartily agreed.. Its far far easier to get address space when you've
> > got the docs to prove you need it and you've allocated
> > intelligently. They require you to justify need, why shouldn't you
> > require customers requesting multiple class Cs to justify need?
>
> Do larger providers have to play by the same rules, or do they all
> still have so much extra space from the pre-CIDR days that it doesn't
> matter?  I ask because I know of at least one BBN customer that less
> than a year ago was assigned 3 /24's for their 30 machine network.

Net99 gave one aquaintance of mine a /22 when he asked for one /24
(back when they were net99)

I also know of another friend of my other half :) who was given a "B",
and, yes boys and girls, he has a dialup account.  Of course, this was
in '89 or '90.. but he's still got that SLIP :)

--
jamie g. k. rishaw |    jamie at multiverse.com     |  home e-mail:jamie at arpa.com
url-free sig file  |   corporate support svcs.   | "I had a dream .. there was