high packet loss within Sprint infrastructure?

Owen DeLong owen at DeLong.SJ.CA.US
Wed Nov 13 23:02:27 UTC 1996

> I hope this is an appropriate question for this list...
>
> We have been experiencing severe packet loss, apparently within the Sprint
> infrastructure, for several weeks.  Recently we've seen as high as 20%
> loss.   Our users are screaming.  They can't keep sessions open to resource
> providers, etc., to whom they are paying large annual fees.   Not at all
> good.
>
> We have been receiving conflicting stories fron Sprint about where the
> problem(s) is(are), who is responsible, what is being done (if anything),
> etc.
>
> The loss appears to us to be worst at MAE-WEST but it seems to be happening
> more broadly as well.
>
> Can anyone else out there help shed light on this? Is anyone else aware of
> similar behavior?
>
> Thanks,
> 	David Wasley
> 	University of California

Hi David, long time no talk.  Les sez HI too.

Only info I have on this is a trouble ticket sent out by BBN that said:

SPRINT is loosing packets between SL-MAE-W and SL-STK-5, and so they
are adding an additional T3 to MAE E.

That's right... It was exactly that and made exactly that much SPRINT SENSE.

Owen