high packet loss within Sprint infrastructure?

David L. Wasley david.wasley at ucop.edu
Wed Nov 13 22:44:55 UTC 1996

I hope this is an appropriate question for this list...

We have been experiencing severe packet loss, apparently within the Sprint
infrastructure, for several weeks.  Recently we've seen as high as 20%
loss.   Our users are screaming.  They can't keep sessions open to resource
providers, etc., to whom they are paying large annual fees.   Not at all
good.

We have been receiving conflicting stories fron Sprint about where the
problem(s) is(are), who is responsible, what is being done (if anything),
etc.

The loss appears to us to be worst at MAE-WEST but it seems to be happening
more broadly as well.

Can anyone else out there help shed light on this? Is anyone else aware of
similar behavior?

Thanks,
	David Wasley
	University of California