Why doesn't BGP...

Avi Freedman freedman at netaxs.com
Sat Nov 9 18:22:31 UTC 1996

> Look, I can do a "show interface" on any interface and see what speed
> it's running at and if it's dropping packets.  If BGP hears a route
> on an interface that isn't dropping packets shouldn't _that_ route
> be considered "best" all other things being equal (hop counts and
> all)?  You can't tell me the router doesn't know this information
> because _I_ get the information from the router itself!!
>
> I understand about route instabilities, etc.  All I'm talking about
> here is a better "tie breaker" than ordinate numbers of IP addresses.

The router really can't see how fast an interface *can* go unless it's
maxed out.  That's not really useful information in a route-selection
decision.

It's possible that the packet loss might weight a better path but you
would have to be careful about reweighting 20k paths every few minutes...
Especially if you pass those decisions on to other routers :)

Avi