Why doesn't BGP...

Ed Morin edm at halcyon.com
Sat Nov 9 17:33:54 UTC 1996

Look, I can do a "show interface" on any interface and see what speed
it's running at and if it's dropping packets.  If BGP hears a route
on an interface that isn't dropping packets shouldn't _that_ route
be considered "best" all other things being equal (hop counts and
all)?  You can't tell me the router doesn't know this information
because _I_ get the information from the router itself!!

I understand about route instabilities, etc.  All I'm talking about
here is a better "tie breaker" than ordinate numbers of IP addresses.

On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Neil J. McRae wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Nov 1996 19:20:40 -0800 (PST)
>  Ed Morin <edm at halcyon.com> alleged:
>
> > Well, sure, but why should I _have_ to?  I thought we, in part, pay
> > the big bucks for routers that are supposed to figure some of this
> > stuff out on their own without having to "band-aid" things with AS
> > path manipulations, etc.
>
> Try reading the manual. How is the router supposed to know what
> you want to do. BGP4 knows nothing of link speeds, and I hope
> it never does, the instabilities it could cause are frightening.
>
> I don't think the people who came up with BGP4 ever expected to
> see what some people do with their router configs.
>
> Regards,
> Neil.
> --
> Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.          E A S Y N E T  G R O U P  P L C
> neil at EASYNET.NET        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)
>   Free the daemon in your <A HREF="http://www.NetBSD.ORG/">computer!</A>

Ed Morin
Northwest Nexus Inc. (206) 455-3505 (voice)
Professional Internet Services
edm at nwnexus.WA.COM